143 Hvy Battery NZA WAINUI
Shortly after the outbreak of
hostilities with Japan the 84 Hvy. Bty. NZA "D" Sec., was established in
Jan. 42 for the purpose of anti-invasion and the denial to the enemy of the
use of the port of Akaroa. A tempery battery with an effective range of
10,000 yds covering the entrance to the Akaroa Heads comprising 1- 60 pdr.
And 1- 6" howitzer was located to the left of the Wainui Kowhai Valley road
and approx. 1-3/4 miles from the Wainui Post Office.
Construction work on the
permanent two 6" gun battery, was as authorised under the Govt. Half yearly
Works Programme and Estimates for Apr. - Sept 42 was commenced on 14 Sept.
On the mounting of both 6"
guns in Jan. 43 the tempery Battery was dismantled and the Operational role
was maintained at the Cape Three Points Site. This land being purchased from
Mr. RWF Newton of Mt. Bossu, Wainui.
Under Army HQ's Reduction
for Coast Arty. As outlined in SMD memo S//R/2/5 of 17 Sept. 43, this
Battery immediately reverted to a Care and Maintenance Section and on further
decision by Army HQ the armament was dismantled on 7 Oct 43 and removed
from the Battery site in Feb. 44. A camp guard was maintained until the
handing over of the camp on 13 Apr. 44 to Area 10.
Two BL 6" Mk VII Guns
on P.III Mounts
No 1939 dated 1903
No 1650 dated 1902
Max range 17,500 yds
Effective range 14,000 yds